5 Fun Facts for National Doctor’s Day
by Nadine Paull
National Doctor’s Day provides one nationally recognized day of the year to show our appreciation for our doctors. Here are 5 facts you may not already know about this special day, and this lifesaving profession!
1. National Doctor’s Day is always celebrated on March 30th, commemorating the very first use of general anesthesia in surgery.
2. According to the US Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are nearly 700,000 physicians and surgeons in the United States alone. Now that’s a lot of doctors!
3. There are Hallmark cards for this. No holiday is complete without Hallmark cards! Thankfully, Hallmark began supplying National Doctor’s Day cards in 2003.
4. Nearly half of all medical school graduates are women. This is up 30% from over thirty years ago. Girl power!
5. The majority of physicians consistently report working overtime — up to 60 hours a week!
While March 30th is the officially recognized day for celebrating our physicians and surgeons, there is never a bad time to show appreciation for those who help us manage our health.
Thank you, doctors!