Jewish Genetic Screening Awareness Week Day 3: BRCA Awareness
Jewish Genetic Screening Awareness Week
Day 3: BRCA Awareness
Ashkenazi Jews are at ten times greater risk to have a mutation in the BRCA genes, increasing their risk for breast, ovarian, prostate and pancreatic cancer. BRCA screening can provide life-saving information, which is why JScreen is currently enrolling participants for the PEACH BRCA Study that offers no-cost, at-home education, testing, and genetic counseling services for Atlanta men and women with Ashkenazi background who do not have personal or family histories of these cancers. To learn more, go to https://www.jscreen.org/brca/.
For Atlanta-area Ashkenazi men and women, this study is a safe, quick, and easy way to determine if you carry the BRCA gene, and if you and your partner may pass this gene onto your future children.
Why is this study important for me and my family?
The study benefits include:
- Learning about your risk for certain cancers, including breast, ovarian, pancreatic and prostate
- Receiving information that will help inform your medical management and reproductive planning
- Gaining important health information that can be shared with family members
Who is eligible?
To participate in The PEACH BRCA Study, individuals must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Have at least one Ashkenazi (Eastern and Central European – for example: Germany, Poland, Russia) Jewish grandparent
- Are at least 25 years old
- Reside in the metro-Atlanta area (open to both men & women)
- Have not had BRCA testing in the past
- No personal or close significant family history of BRCA-related cancers or a BRCA mutation
What is the process?
The first step is to complete an online eligibility questionnaire. Participants will collect a saliva sample at home for genetic testing and receive their BRCA results by a certified genetic counselor by phone or secure video. In addition, they will complete two surveys. Testing is FREE! Participants will not be charged and will not be asked to provide health insurance information.
Knowledge is power. The JScreen study can provide this essential information for your future family. Visit JScreen.org to determine if you’re eligible for this important study.